Easy Homemade Pizza Dough
* This article contains affiliate links. For more information, please read my Affiliate Disclosure.
Mmmmm…. Pizza. It’s a weakness of mine, and it has led me to forgo fresh, homemade food for expensive takeout more than a handful of times.
I’ve wanted to commit to making my own pizza from scratch for a long time now. I made it a few years ago when we lived in our condo in the city. It was pretty good, and I remember the assembly being pretty straightforward.
For years though, I opted for takeout convenience over homemade quality, taste and price. But when I got my KitchenAid stand mixer for Christmas a couple years ago, everything changed.
The dough hook attachment on the stand mixer makes it super simple to whip up all sorts of breads and doughs so there’s no excuse not to make my own!
In fact, pizza dough was the first thing I made with my stand mixer and I’ve never looked back:)
Step-By-Step Homemade Pizza Dough
Start by gathering a few simple ingredients: flour, yeast, salt, water and a little oil. Add one tablespoon of active yeast to two cups of warm water and let that proof for about 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients (which takes all of about 30 seconds).
Fit your stand mixer with the dough hook attachment and mix the water with the flour and the salt. I run the mixer on the second setting (low) and knead the dough until mixed well. Then remove the bowl from the stand mixer, cover with a kitchen towel and let it rest for 20 minutes. And that’s it! Your dough is ready to be formed into pizza crust.
Once the dough has a little time to rest, form it into a big ball and then cut that ball in half. Did I mention this recipe makes two pizzas? Because it does. Booya.
You can cook both pizzas at once or freeze or refrigerate one ball of dough to use later.
When you’re ready to use your dough, just roll your dough ball out onto a floured surface and use a rolling pin to flatten it out to about ¼-inch thick. Then grease a baking pan with a little olive oil so the dough doesn’t stick (this is really important, as we learned when we missed this step once), and then press your dough onto the baking sheet, using your fingers to form the crust around the edge.
At this point, the crust is ready to be topped with whatever you have on hand. Our personal household favourites are Ham and Pineapple (super easy because I always keep some jars of home-canned pineapple on hand), and Margherita with fresh tomatoes and basil (pictured below).
So without further ado, I present to you the easiest, yummiest homemade pizza dough I have ever eaten. And the best part is, you can top it with whatever you have laying around. I’m excited to try all sorts of different topping combinations, because why not? You only live once!
- 5 cups of flour
- 1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Mix yeast with warm water and let it proof for 10 minutes.
- Fit stand mixer with dough hook, then mix about half of the flour with water/yeast mixture and run stand mixer. Add the salt and remaining flour and allow dough hook to knead dough until smooth.
- Remove bowl, cover and let stand for 20 min.
- Flour a large, smooth surface, form dough into a ball and cut in half, forming each piece into a ball of pizza dough. (You can either make both pizzas right away or cover and refrigerate one dough ball for up to 24 hours before using).
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Turn one dough ball out on floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll dough to roughly ¼ inch thick.
- Rub olive oil on a baking sheet to prevent dough from sticking. Place dough on baking sheet and use your fingers to press the edge of the dough to form a crust.
- Top dough with whatever ingredients you like and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
You Might Also Like
* This article contains affiliate links. For more information, please read my Affiliate Disclosure. It’s easy to make your own homemade echinacea tincture at home for a fraction of the cost of store-bought prepared tinctures. All you need is fresh or dried...