Homemade Beef and Bacon Burger Patties
* This article contains affiliate links. For more information, please read my Affiliate Disclosure.
Everything tastes better with bacon, and these homemade beef and bacon burger patties are no exception. They’re meaty and juicy and full of flavour, and best of all they’re 100% meat patties with no bread or eggs, making them a good option for anyone who can’t have gluten or who has an egg allergy.
They’re definitely NOT for vegans though. Just in case the words “beef” and “bacon” didn’t make that clear already:)
The benefits of grass-fed beef
Now, while these homemade hamburger patties can be made with any old store-bought ground beef and bacon, I highly recommend finding a source of local, free range, grass-fed and finished beef for this (and all of you other beef needs). Not only is it a much more humane and ethical choice than factory farmed meat, it’s healthier too!
Grass-fed beef is leaner, cleaner and higher in nutrients and essential fatty acids than factory farmed beef, making it a much better choice for overall health. Not to mention, if you purchase it locally, you’ll be supporting farmers in your area, which is good for the health of your local economy. This is also super important right now as we’re still in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic as I write this, and we could all do to support more small farmers and local businesses in this time of need.
As for the bacon, if you can get that locally as well, I recommend it. Although I admit I do really like the Kirkland brand thick-cut bacon from Costco (which is also much more affordable than any bacon I can get locally), so it’s usually the default bacon that we use in this recipe.
Beef and bacon: the perfect pair
When we first started making our own hamburger patties at home, we made all-beef patties that we “fluffed up” with bread crumbs and bound together with egg. And they were okay, but they weren’t the mouth-watering, out-of-this world burger patties we were going for.
Part of the reason was because we were using super lean grass-fed beef, and so our burger patties were missing the flavour and fattiness that make a burger patty taste amazing. So my always innovative husband decided to remedy the situation by adding chopped bacon to our beef patties.
O.M.G. The first time we made them this way and tasted them was the day that we decided we’d never buy pre-made hamburger patties from the store ever again.
Over time we’ve played with this recipe until we got all of the spices just right too, and when we got a meat grinder attachment for our Kitchenaid stand mixer, we decided to start grinding our ground beef and bacon together to make a fine-ground, mixed beef and bacon mince. (Yes, you read that right… We re-grind our ground beef with chopped bacon to make our burger patties!)
By grinding the beef and bacon together, it gives these burger patties a more uniform taste and texture. But if you don’t have a meat grinder then just chop the bacon into small pieces and mix with the ground beef.
To that, add some salt, pepper and spices (garlic powder, onion powder, paprika…) and give it all a good mix together. (Using your hands to mix it all together works best. Just make sure they’re nice and clean first!)
Finally, to shape them, we like to use a large round cookie cutter mold that we press the meat into. Using a mold helps us to make the burger patties perfectly round and uniform in size, although you can totally just shape these patties with your hands.
From here they’re ready to either throw on the barbecue right away, or can be frozen for later use.
A great freeze-ahead dinner option
If freezing, cut small squares of parchment paper to layer in between the patties so they don’t stick together. Then place the stack in a freezer bag and squeeze the air out. Store in the freezer for up to three months before using.
If using frozen patties to make hamburgers, you can throw the patties directly on the barbecue and cook from frozen. No need to thaw.This makes these homemade beef and bacon burger patties a great make-ahead freezer meal option for busy nights and impromptu summer barbecues:)
Assembling the perfect beef and bacon burger
Of course, you’ll need buns to go with your patties (given that you DON’T have a gluten allergy), as well as a few choice condiments. I highly recommend trying out this recipe for homemade hamburger buns, as well as this homemade Rhubarbeque sauce and this super quick and easy home-made mayonnaise. Oh, and don’t forget to top your burger with some sliced homemade dill pickles!
Add a little cheese, lettuce and sliced tomato and you’ve got one hell of a homemade hamburger!
Great for summer barbecues, camping, Canada Day or July 4th, backyard birthdays and pretty much any other time that calls for homemade hamburgers, these beef and bacon burger patties are guaranteed to impress anyone lucky enough to enjoy them, including you!
Wishing you homemade, homegrown, homestead happiness:)
Homemade Beef and Bacon Burger Patties
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon (or 5 thinner slices)
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Chop bacon as fine as possible and mix together with ground beef (or cut bacon into slightly larger pieces and use a meat grinder to grind together with the beef).
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and black pepper and mix by hand until all ingredients are well combined.
- Form patties by hand (or use a large round cookie/biscuit cutter and press meat into round patties). You should get about 7 or 8 burger patties out of this recipe depending on size.
- Grill for 3 to 5 minutes per side and enjoy right away, or freeze for later by using small squares of parchment paper to separate each patty and then placing the stack of patties in a freezer bag. Use frozen patties within three months.
You Might Also Like
How to Use a Rocket Mass Heater to Cook & Heat Off-Grid
* This article contains affiliate links. For more information, please read my Affiliate Disclosure. Learn how to heat and cook off-grid with a rocket mass heater, and why this is an even more energy-efficient solution than a traditional wood stove! This is a...
My Favourite Things – 2022 Edition (aka. The Modern Homesteader’s Christmas Wish List)
* This article contains affiliate links. For more information, please read my Affiliate Disclosure. Every year around this time, I compile a list of my favourite things: Things that I love, use or covet for my own homestead, and things that I know other modern...
👩🏻🌾 I help people reclaim their independence and break free from the system!
Get my latest recipes, resources and homestead inspiration! 👇